Below is the summary on different garbage collectors prepared while reading Memory Management in the Java HotSpot™ Virtual Machine whitepaper. Hope you find it useful!
Notable points in Concurrent Mark-Sweep Collector:
- Also known as low-latency collector as it minimizes pause times
- Some phases are executed concurrently with the application
- Only garbage collector that does not perform compaction of old generation after major collection
- Because no compaction is performed, extra heap sizes may be required
- Has an option of running in Incremental Mode (–XX:+CMSIncrementalMode): in this mode concurrent phases are done incrementally (useful when running on machines with fewer processors to yield back processing to the application)